Saturday, April 14, 2012

Grandpa,
We love and miss you in unmeasurable amounts, but we know that you are serving diligently as our guardian angel. All our love and thoughts.

It's been 3 years since Richard Ellis Madsen received his call to serve on the other side. He has touched our lives immensely through countless moments. We feel his presence more and more each day. I raise butterflies each year, and set them free at his grave each year. Here are some of the captured moments.




I raised 10 butterflies this year. One died in the cocoon, but we (mom, dad, and I) had the incredible opportunity witnessing a miracle. One of the cocoons fell off the roof. The cocoon must hang upside down so that when the caterpillar breaks the cocoon, gravity will pull its wings and help it develop into a beautiful butterfly. I didn't think the cocoon on the ground would survive. But to our amazement one day while sitting there we saw it burst out of the cocoon. It emerged. It's wings were 1/4 the size of it's body. Tiny, and folded up like a deck of cards. I took the butterfly and let it grab onto the side of the cage so gravity would pull it's wings. He didn't hang for long periods of time. I sat there and every time he fell down I picked him back up. I wanted him to understand that I was helping him, not hurting him or making things harder on him, but I was patient as I picked him up time and time again. He did alright. One wing (the side the cocoon was laying on) didn't develop as well, so we named him Nemo, due to his little wing.
I tried to set Nemo free, but he wasn't strong enough to fly, let alone live in the wild. So I took him home. He lived in the cage for about two more weeks until he joined grandpa on the other side =) He tried so hard, and now his wings are strong! I love my butterflies, they have such great meaning to me. I love my grandpa, and the things he taught me. I am so grateful for the lessons and talents he helped my dad gain. I love my Dad and know his Father taught him well. I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father, for his tender mercies are such a blessing in my life. I know he lives, and loves me. His creatures all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Look at this butterfly.. Apparently he had to kiss me goodbye. =)
I love you all, pray for you all. Hope all is well, just remember God loves you! XOXOX

No comments:

Post a Comment